- Each hour of downtime costs Fortune 1000 companies in excess of $300,000 according to 1/3 of the survey responses.
- Trouble shooting the problem can take more than a day. According to 1/3 of survey responses.
- Change Management for Fortune/FT 1000 companies occupies 11 full time people!
- Installation and configuration of core applications is a major resource sink; taking 4 days to configure a complete application infrastructure stack.
So Layering Complexity upon Complexity!!
I wonder, just what is the Production impact, if after all this automation, you loose the systems that are doing the automation and configuration?? I suspect recovery would be significantly longer than 1 working day!
The truth of the matter is that Enterprise Systems including those based upon the latest ESB, Grid, WS-SOA Marketectures are the root cause of the explosive increase in Complexity.
Each of these approaches implicitly assume that:
- The compute resource landscape is static,
- Software functionality is static
- Provisioning is thought of as a one time event, and
- Failure is treated as an exception.
- Compute resource landscape is dynamic
- Software functionality needs to evolve and adapt
- Provisioning is an on-going process - caused by
- Continual - re-optimisation against the shfting compute landscape and recovery from failure.
By building the correct IT foundations for their businesses! Fortune 1000 companies need to implement Enterprise wide solutions where configuration, adaption and recovery are core design features. Systems configure, deploy and maintain themselves, as part of what they do (by way of an example - see Infiniflow)! Such solutions will also heavily leverage industry trends towards modularization via OSGi & SCA.
Whether you are the CIO of a Global Bank, a Gaming Company or a Telcoms company, once the correct technology foundations have been put in place - no easy task - significant OPEX savings WILL follow. However, take the easy route - fail with the foundations, avoid necessary change - and no amount of management, configuration or deployment software bandaid will save you!